Friday, July 13, 2007

I wanna be a fireman!!

We just finished our annual Sumer Spirit week here in the parish. Summer Spirit (just finished its 27th year) is our vacation Bible school. This year we had 140 young people participate and almost as many volunteers. It is an awesome week of fun and faith - the best combination in the world.

But, this year, I have to say, Fr. Mike and I really outdid ourselves! You see, the Thursday of Summer Spirit is always water fight day. Everyone comes armed and ready for battle. (Spiritually we could say we are renewing our baptismal commitments in the most dramatic of forms.) Now, last year, Fr. Mike got a bit ganged up on and totally soaked. But, being the single-minded person he can be, he tried his darndest to stay in the battle. During a bit of a tug-of-war over the water hose, Fr. Mike sprained his arm. Bottom line - we ended up in the Emergency Room and I had to take all the Masses for about five days.

His last words, "Wait until next year."

This year comes and after morning Mass on Tuesday we're talking with our new deacon, Roland Miller, about what we will do. We've been searching far and wide for the best super-soakers and really couldn't find anything adequate. We say, "What we really need is a fire engine." Deacon Roland responds, "I think I get one for you."

Cut to Thursday. It is quarter of 10 a.m., we're getting a quick training from the Chief on how to operate the hoses. He comes with four other fire fighters and we all ride in sirens blazing into the Church parking lot. To say that the kids were stunned would be an understatement.

The fire chief begins to speak to the kids about fire safety and some of their firefighting equipment and when he says, "It's important to see how the hoses work," Fr. Mike and I, backed up by the other firefighters, come from around the back of the engine hoses on full. The kids never knew what hit them.

Needless to say that might have been the most fun moment I can remember in my life. A lifelong childhood dream realized - riding on a fire engine, working the hose. I think - no, I know - Fr. Mike and I had even more fun than the kids.

Today, however, are we ever aching! Those hoses are unbelievably powerful and take a lot of strength to keep them manned. Our hats go off to our fire fighting heroes who do this not for fun, but to save lives. Although, they too had a blast on Thursday!

The last thing we heard as the kids were going home though? "Wait until next year."

You can view more photos from Summer Spirit at: www.sfxnewmilford.org/photos

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that was amazing and I would have loved to have seen the look on the kids faces. It brought back memories of when I was involved with Summer Spirit especially on that Thursday when I came out with the super soaker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this, Fr. Tom! That's sounds so exciting and I wish I could have been there. Back in the days when I did Summer Spirit we used the super soakers and never had the thrill of the firehose and truck!

    God bless!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete