Friday, April 18, 2008

Hanging with Pope Benedict XVI

I imagine that most of you have been glued to the television like me watching this incredible and historic visit of our Holy Father Benedict XVI to the United States.

Through the grace of God, tomorrow and Sunday, I and Fr. Mike will be at the two Masses Pope Benedict is celebrating at St. Patrick's (Saturday) and then Yankee Stadium. I feel honored and humbled to be able to concelebrate a Mass with our Chief Shepherd and Bishop of Rome.

His messages have been so hopeful so far. I think of his powerful words yesterday at Nationals Park:

"In the exercise of my ministry as the Successor of Peter, I have come to America to confirm you, my brothers and sisters, in the faith of the Apostles (cf. Lk 22:32). I have come to proclaim anew, as Peter proclaimed on the day of Pentecost, that Jesus Christ is Lord and Messiah, risen from the dead, seated in glory at the right hand of the Father, and established as judge of the living and the dead (cf. Acts 2:14ff.). I have come to repeat the Apostle's urgent call to conversion and the forgiveness of sins, and to implore from the Lord a new outpouring of the Holy Spirit upon the Church in this country. As we have heard throughout this Easter season, the Church was born of the Spirit's gift of repentance and faith in the risen Lord. In every age she is impelled by the same Spirit to bring to men and women of every race, language and people (cf. Rev 5:9) the good news of our reconciliation with God in Christ."

I will try and blog tomorrow night after the Mass at St. Patrick's and of course again after Sunday. Please know that you will all be close in my prayers during these Masses.

1 comment:

  1. How exciting for you all! The joy is palpable in your post and Fr. Joe looks amazing! If he loses any more weight we'll have to out his picture on a milk carton. :) My best to you all!

    ReplyDelete