Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Believing Thomas | Feast of Thomas the Apostle

Reflection for the Feast of Thomas the Apostle, July 3, 2013:

I often say that I am a well-named Thomas, meaning that like the renowned Apostle we celebrate today, I often need to see to believe.  We all know about Thomas' doubts. He is eternally tagged with that moniker - Doubting Thomas.  But, I for one, am always so grateful for his doubts because his doubts remind me, remind all of us, that doubts are part of life; doubts are part of faith.  

But, Thomas also reminds us of something else, something that is too often overlooked in his story.  He also makes one of the greatest proclamations of faith in all of Sacred Scripture.  We hear it in today's Gospel passage: "Thomas answered and said to him, 'My Lord and my God!'"  In my years as a priest, I have made this prayer my own.  As I elevate the Body and Blood of Christ during the Eucharistic Prayer; as this Thomas places his own hands on the body of Jesus just as that Thomas did so long ago; as I see and touch and believe, I quietly make his prayer mine, with a slight addition from St. Francis praying, "My Lord, my God and my All."  

Let Thomas today be not the doubter, but the great man of faith; and let him be a reminder to us today that in the midst of our own doubts, we don't have to end there.  Thomas didn't walk away. He worked through his doubts by remaining in the community and encountering the Lord and finding faith, great faith, through his doubts.  "My Lord and my God!"


1 comment: