Saturday, September 30, 2017

The Lord is not fair!!
















HOMILY FOR THE 26th SUNDAY IN ORDINARY TIME, October 1, 2017:

About a decade ago, I had what is easily the most extraordinary experience of my priesthood. My own Dad was not raised in a family of church-goers. And as a result, he had never been baptized. Now over the years my Mom, myself, surely others, had long encouraged him to become a baptized member of the Church, but to no avail. I even tried to convince Dad as I was approaching my own ordination 17 years ago. I said, “Dad it would be so wonderful if I could give you communion on the day I celebrate my first Mass.” Now, I have to tell you that is grade A guilt right there. But, no effect. Instead, I just continued to pray every day in those moments of quiet prayer after receiving Holy Communion, “Lord, through the grace of this Eucharist, please place in Dad’s heart the desire for baptism.” Then, a little before his 69th birthday, Dad called me one day and said just two words to me: “I’m ready.” And in the absolute honor of my priesthood, I baptized, confirmed, and gave First Holy Communion to my own Dad.

But before the baptism, we had a process of preparation for Dad. I would go home and sit with both Dad and Mom, Mom was going to be his sponsor. We would get together and review key aspects of the faith. At one point, my Mom said quite definitively to Dad, “Now Scott, before you get baptized, you have to go to Confession.” But I had to respond, “Mom, actually, baptism forgives all sins. So, he doesn’t have to go to confession. Any sins he has committed in his life up to that point will be forgiven in that moment.” At this point, my Mom looked at me, looked at my Dad, and then said, “You mean, he gets away with it?! That’s not fair!”

Although she was joking, Mom’s words were not too far away from the words we heard in our first reading from Ezekiel today, “The Lord’s way is not fair!” We know that these are words we hear an awful lot in life from many different people. “That’s not fair!” People often feel as though life is not treating them fairly, sometimes that God is not treating them fairly. Children are the most frequent issuers of this statement. A sibling or friends gets something they’d like to have; a group of kids go somewhere they want to go. It can be just about anything that leads them to cry out, “It’s not fair! Why can’t I have that? Why can’t I go there?”

In the passage from Ezekiel, when the people cry out, “The Lord’s way is not fair” they are actually complaining about the fact that God is a forgiving God. They are not happy that God will forgive a sinner who turns away from their sin and back to Him. They would prefer that God condemn sinner for their sin – and not only the one who sinned, but even that person’s family for many generations. The fact that God’s forgiveness is not fair is the heart of their complaint. They just don’t like it.

And you know what? They are right, God is not fair. We know this once we have experienced God’s ways ourselves. We, too, might also say, “The Lord’s way is not fair!” But, instead of that being a complaint, it is statement of gratitude. God’s ways are not fair. Thank you God for that!

Instead of merely fair, God’s ways are infinitely generous, gracious, and overflowing. We have a God who loves us beyond measure, more than we could ever earn. We have a God who never, ever tires of forgiving us, more than we could ever deserve. We have a God who is always present to us – in our joys and triumphs, in our sadness and sorrow, in our failures and even in our sin. And rather than abandoning us in our trial, God continually calls us to Himself so that He can – over and over and over again – make us whole and make us new. He call us so that He can heal our wounds; so that He can fill us with His presence; so that He can help us become more and more like Him.

God never tires of loving and forgiving us. And, He wants our ways to be like His. He wants us to be unfair too. He wants us to be just as generous in giving and even more generous in forgiving – as He is. God wants us to live in the way St. Paul tells us today, “Do nothing out of selfishness; rather, humbly regard others as more important than yourselves, each looking out not for [your] own interests, but for [the interests] of others. Have, in you, the same attitude that is in Christ.”

Pope Francis said, “Feeling mercy changes everything. This is the best thing we can feel: mercy changes the world. A little mercy makes the world less cold and more just. This mercy is beautiful.”

My friends, “The Lord’s way is not fair!” And we are so grateful for that. Let us thank God for the generosity with which He loves and forgives us – and let us share that same love and forgiveness just as unfairly with the world!

May the Lord give you peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment