"Most High, glorious God, cast Your Light into the darkness of my heart, and grant me a right faith, certain hope and perfect charity, sense and understanding, Lord, so that I may know and do Your holy and true command."
- St. Francis of Assisi: Prayer before the Crucifix
Wednesday, March 21, 2007
What It Means to Be Irish
This was sent to me recently and really made me laugh. I hope you enjoy:
What It Means To Be Irish:
. 1) You will never play professional basketball. .
2) You swear very well. .
3) At least one of your cousins is a fireman, cop, bar owner, funeral home owner, priest, nun or holds political office. .
4) You think you sing very well. .
5) You have no idea how to make a long story short! .
6) There isn't a big difference between you losing your temper or killing someone... .
7) Most of your childhood meals were boiled. .
8) You have never hit your head on a ceiling. .
9) You spent a good portion of your childhood kneeling in prayer . .
10) You're strangely poetic after a few beers. .
11) You are, therefore, poetic a lot. .
12) You will be punched for no good reason...a lot. .
13) Some punches directed at you are from legacies of past generations. .
14) Many of your sisters and/or cousins are named Mary, Catherine or Eileen... and there is at least one member of your family with the full name of Mary Catherine Eileen. .
15) Someone in your family is incredibly cheap. It is more than likely you. .
16) You may not know the words, but that never stops you from singing. .
17) You can't wait for the other guy to stop talking before you start talking. .
18) You're not nearly as funny as you think you are...but what you lack in talent, you make up for in enthusiasm. .
19) There wasn't a huge difference between the last Wake you went to and the last keg party you went to. .
20) You are, or know someone, named “Murph.” .
21) If you don't know “Murph” then you know “Mac.” If you don't know “Murph” or “Mac” then you know “Sully.” And, you probably know someone named “Sully McMurphy.” .
22) You are genetically incapable of keeping a secret. .
23) You have Irish Alzheimer's... your forget everything but the grudges! .
24) "Irish Stew" is a euphemism for "boiled leftovers." .
25) All of your losses are alcohol related (loss of drivers license, loss of money, loss of job, loss of significant other, loss of teeth from punch...) but it never stops you from drinking.